See the original post with photos here.
Makes enough for a small party or potluck.
2 long crusty French baguettes (or thin rice noodles if going gluten-free)
1 English cucumber, sliced into lengths
1 bunch cilantro
Tofu (recipe follows)
Marinated daikon radish and carrot (recipe follows)
Ingredients for the Tofu:
1 pound firm, tofu, divided into eight slices
1/4 cup soy sauce
1 tablespoon fresh ginger (1 teaspoon ground)
1 teaspoon pepper
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
2 tablespoons honey
1/2 teaspoon chili paste
1 teaspoon sesame seeds (optional)
Directions for the Tofu:
1. Mix the soy sauce, ginger, pepper, oil, honey, chili paste, and sesame seeds (optional) in a small bowl.
2. Pour it over the tofu, and flip to make sure both sides get covered.
3. Bake in a 375 degree oven about 20 minutes, flipping the tofu slices once.
Ingredients for the Marinated Daikon Radish and Carrot
1 cup julienned carrots
1 cup julienned daikon radish
1/2 cup rice wine vinegar
2 tablespoons sugar
Directions for the Marinated Daikon Radish and Carrot
1. Put the julienned carrots and daikon radishes in a small bowl or a jar.
2. Completely dissolve the sugar in the rice wine vinegar.
3. Pour over the julienned vegetables.
4. Will keep covered in the refrigerator for a couple of days.
Putting it all together:
1. Slice the baguettes into small sandwich portions.
2. Put on a slice or two of the cooled tofu, followed by some sliced cucumber, the marinated daikon radish/carrot, then top with a sprig of cilantro
Replace the bread with thin rice noodles that have been cooked according to package directions and cooled. Toss with cubed tofu and vegetables, and serve in a bowl. Or simply serve the tofu over rice.